This is a classic Korean chicken soup that is super nourishing and immune-boosting for the whole family. Coming home to this on a cold winter day, is like heaven!
Ingredients You Need:
- 1 cornish hen
- 1 fresh ginseng root or dried ginseng (I use tried and just soak it in water for overnight)
- 1/4 glutinous rice soaked for 1 hour (or you can just soak overnight)
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 2 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium piece of ginger
- 4 jujubes
- 5 cups of water
- 2 scallions finely chopped, to garnish
- 1 tsp of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of sesame seed
- 1 tsp of seamen oil
- Clean the chicken, remove the goblets if any.
- Rub salt all over and then rinse with cold water.
- Place the cleaned chicken on a cutting board and pat dry.
- Stuff the cavity with the sweet rice and 5 garlic cloves, 2 jujubes.
- Cross the chicken legs and tie together with kitchen twine.
- In a medium size pot, place the chicken and add 4 to 5 cups of water or enough water to cover most of the chicken.
- Add in 3 more garlic cloves, ginger and 2 jujubes and mushrooms.
- Bring it to a boil over medium high heat and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium and cook for about another 40 minutes or until the chicken and rice is soft.
- Sprinkle with chopped scallions.
- Make the seasoning for dipping – combine 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp sesame seed and pinch of ground black pepper and 1 TBSP of sesame oil in a bowl and mix well. That is your dip for the chicken.